Donation made to Education Centre in Kampala, Uganda
LIFESAVER has donated a LIFESAVER Aid jerrycan to AFFCAD’s Excel Education Centre. This school supports vulnerable youths, orphans and HIV/Aids infected children.
Action for Fundamental Change and Development (AFFCAD) is a non-profit community based organisation with offices in Bwaise slums, Kampala, Uganda. It was formed in 2009 by a group of four who hoped to mitigate the impacts of HIV/AID and Poverty in the slum areas of Kampala, Uganda.
AFFCAD’s founders grew up in poor families, affected by HIV in the slums of Bwaise, Kampala, Uganda where 65% of the youth, children and women are socially, economically, politically and culturally marginalized.
AFFCAD’s mission is to empower slum communities through well-designed programmes to achieve sustained self-reliance.
The organisation provides HIV/AIDS awareness and economic empowerment services to youth, vulnerable children, women and families living with and affected by HIV/AIDS and poverty in the slum communities of Bwaise, Kawempe division, Kampala district.
Some of AFFCAD’s key activities:
- Providing HIV/AIDS and reproductive health education programs both in schools and in the community
- Training in and out of school youth as peer educators in adolescent sexual reproductive health and HIV/AIDS prevention.
- Organising HIV/AIDS voluntary counselling and distributing condoms and informational materials throughout the Bwaise slum areas.
- Providing free formal and vocational education sponsorships for HIV/AIDS infected children as well as orphans and vulnerable youth at AFFCAD’s Excel Education Centre.
- Empowering women to start small businesses by providing business skills training and access to microloans.
- Sheltering and supporting abandoned children of sex workers at AFFCAD's orphanage, AD.
LIFESAVER chose to donate some of our technology to AFFCAD as access to clean sterile drinking water can increase the immunity levels of HIV/Aids infected children enabling them to live a longer and healthier life.
Information courtesy of AFFCAD.org
Photos courtesy of Muggaga Brian Maya