I came across the Wonderbag about two weeks ago and instantly loved the product. Such a simple idea, and beautifully made.
A little information on the Wonderbag
The Wonderbag is a heat-retention cooking bag. A Wonderbag is an insulated bag in which people can cook anything from meaty stews or vegetable curries to simple rice and soups. You heat up your pot of food on the stove, kick-starting the cooking process, and then place it in the Wonderbag.
With the use of Wonderbag’s insulating properties, food can be brought to the boil and can continue cooking while in the bag without using additional fuel. This means families can cook hot meals, while saving energy - and money. It also means less time tending cooking food – time that can be better spent looking after children, earning an income or doing essential chores. It also reduces harmful carbon emissions which can damage the health of families, particularly young children.
As of June 2012, 500K Wonderbags have been distributed throughout South Africa, set to improve the lives of over 2 million people.
According to Wonderbag, this insulated cooking bag has many benefits…
•It can reduce a family's fuel usage up to 30% - saving money and easing poverty.
• It reduces CO2 emissions.
• It reduces toxic fumes which means less respiratory problems and other diseases, particularly in children.
• It reduces accidents in the kitchen, because stoves are used less.
• It reduces time spent cooking, giving more time for child-care and other activities.
• It saves precious water. When the pot is insulated in a Wonderbag at a fairly constant temperature, less evaporation occurs, so less water is needed.
• It saves food. 20% of all staple food in Africa is burned, due to pots being placed on open fires and unregulated stove tops. With the Wonderbag no burning happens.
How LIFESAVER come in
As LIFESAVER is partnering with others with the purpose of ending water poverty, the Wonderbag is a great product to compliment LIFESAVER technology. To cook tasty meals you will need safe water to cook with, but if you can also reduce a family’s fuel costs and water requirements, as well as increase quality time with the family and improve their health, then the benefits speak for themselves.
With our very own Wonderbag I will be cooking the LIFESAVER team a chicken curry (fingers crossed) from the Recipe book supplied with the Wonderbag next week to see whether it really frees up time for me to do other things (albeit working and not taking care of children or relaxing). A blog about this experience will follow.
To find out more information on the Wonderbag please visit http://nb-wonderbag.com